A number of unions have made applications to vary nine ‘health sector’ modern awards, including those that cover the aged care sector, to allow for paid pandemic and special leave.
LASA will not be supporting the applications in their current form, given that there is no funding to cover these additional costs to our Members. These applications aim to vary the above modern awards to provide for the following two new entitlements up to 28 September 2020:
- Two weeks of paid pandemic leave for full-time, part-time and casual employees for when:
- required by government or medical authorities to self isolate;
- required by their employer to self isolate;
- required on the advice of a medical practitioner to self isolate; or
- is prevented from working by measures taken by government or medical authorities in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Unlimited paid special leave for full-time, part-time and casual employees who are diagnosed with COVID-19 until they are given a medical clearance to return to work. The employee will not need to exhaust their personal (sick) leave prior to taking the special leave.
The relevant modern awards and applicant unions are as follows:
- Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010 – application made by the Australian Services Union, Health Services Union and the United Workers Union
- Aged Care Award 2010 – application made by Health Services Union, the United Workers Union and the Australian Nurses and Midwifery Federation
- Nurses Award 2010 – application made by the Australian Nurses and Midwifery Federation, the United Workers Union and the Health Services Union
- Health Professionals and Support Services Award 2010 – application made by the Health Services Union and the United Workers Union
We will keep Members up to date on this matter.