Brisbane City Council (BCC) has announced incentives for the development of residential aged care facilities and retirement villages, including:
- 33% reduction in infrastructure charges
- Increased building height by 2 storeys as code assessable
- Encouraging co-location of small-scale supporting uses as code assessable
- Encouraging co-location on privately owned sport and recreation zoned land
- Allocation of dedicated assessment managers, and:
- Free pre-lodgement advice
- A dedicated assessment manager
- A decision on applications within 90 business days
Other Councils are implementing incentives for retirement village and RACF development include Gold Coast and Maroochydore who have zero development application (DA) fees. Regional Councils are also looking to encourage development in their CBD’s.
Retire-Australia has received approval for the Tarragindi Bowls Club development, which is the first on land previously used for community recreation.
BCC will not provide Infrastructure Contribution reductions for DA’s issued prior to the incentive announcement date.
Projects in Brisbane have experienced an increased compliance checks by Council Officers, with external finishes and overall aesthetics being a particular focus. Council is also seeking more detail on external finishes and aesthetics at the DA stage.